Sunday, January 30, 2011

what's keith DOING?

So it's day three at the homeless shelter.  I hate to say it but it's really not that bad.  In fact, more than half of us don't even look homeless.  Who knew?  I still stick out like a sore thumb yet I don't feel even the slightest bit afraid or judged.  The staff as well as the other homeless people are pretty nice.  Now while I'm painting this perfect portrait, I also have to state that the shelter is not glamorous by any means, but that's to be expected.  I feel so ashamed, uncomfortable and dirty.  In fact, I haven't taken a shower in over forty-eight hours.  I'm going to take a shower tomorrow.  Yep, this shelter has all of the amenities.  I'm talking soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, towels, sheets, blankets, and mats to sleep on at night. 

Also an observation to note- Everybody is old as hell.  Like I'm the youngest guy here.  Just about everybody looks to be over forty years old.  And do you think everybody looks homeless?  Wrong.  Most have on fresh kicks, decent clothes and money in their pockets.  Now, don't get me wrong.  There are a few busted individuals, but that's also to be expected.  And a lot of people could use a nice hot shower right about now.  Although my nose is getting used to the foul smell.  I probably smell like straight up ass to the outside world. 

I still don't know what I'm going to do.  I'm still thinking.  I'm not even sure if I'm going to show up for my court date in a couple of days.  I have to figure out how to get there first, if anything.  I was advised by the police to seek a psychiatric evaluation.  That bitch claims that I'm crazy.  That's her defense in a nutshell.  Well, if I'm crazy, then that bitch is schizophrenic.

I'm still weighing heavily on my options.  I think I might ask my grandmother to take me in.  Or who knows?  Maybe that bitch will let me stay at one of her rental properties.  I honestly don't know how long I can take living in this shelter.  By the way, it's the JHR shelter.  What the J-H-R stands for is beyond me.  On account of the climate, the shelter can't turn anyone down.  With that being said, the shelter is only so big.  So, most of us end up in the "overflow" category which means that a bus picks us up at night and we're then taken to another location.  Where is that location?  The University of Maryland gymnasium.  Yes sir.  There's close to one hundred fifty mats laid out on the gymnasium floor to sleep on.  What a humbling experience? 

Well back to my point.  When the weather begins to warm up, I was told that only the first two hundred people are allowed to stay at the shelter.  And the "overflow"... What "overflow"?  They all get turned away.  So, I gotta look at my other options while I still have shelter.  More stories from the truly homeless coming up tomorrow.  FYI.  I haven't taken a shit in three days.  And yes you need to know that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...